Sunday, August 15, 2004

It's All Right My Mama

Man! I viewed that '68 pre-tour comeback concert Elvis did today and I have to say it was great to see the guy again. The way he looked then and there coming back to life and rock & roll. But it was obvious the "scream" factor was missing from the girls surrounding the stage. They (the girls) did good. They tried their best to reproduce the pre-army presence Elvis inspired in the audience. But seeing them there just sitting...That was the "tell". Elvis was in top form but it was out of sync with the obvious "direction" of the crowd. They appeared to be acting. Of course Elvis was diverted from that path into the sun and surf movies which detracted and lost a lot of followers. But he did the "phoenix" thing again and rose to the top in Las Vegas. A kind of museum to go and see Elvis live. He still charted some great hit songs but somehow lost the connection to the rock and roll people. Never being thought of in the same breath as The Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, The Rolling Stones, Otis Redding...I could go on and on but today I got a glimpse of the guy who, when I was 11 years old, inspired me. I was "busted" in music class for doing an impression of Elvis, while Hound Dog was playing, by the principal as she walked in on our music class. I remember I was scared enough getting up there in the first place. But the result of her action devastated me. I sat down, my hands shaking and my blood feeling like it was going to burst through the pores of my face. I felt bad for the music teacher too. Who was quietly, probably having her job put on the line. That's the way it was in the beginning. Thanks Elvis. You helped in giving me heart and soul and gave me the inspiration to keep on keepin' on!
Thanks Elvis...Thank You Very Much!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home